Greenhouse and Nursery is the number one commodity in the state of Oregon which includes the sales of fresh cut flowers. There are many different varieties of field flowers that are grown in the state of Oregon. The commercial flower industry is made up of 300 commercial growers with an earning of about $145 million worth of field cut flowers, potted flowers and bedding plants.
Students will explore external anatomical parts of a flower and the key principles of pollination.
Activity 1: Fresh Cut Flower Production
Students will be introduced to the idea of fresh cut flower production through watching a short video about rose bouquets that are bundled for wholesale.
Activity 2: The Basic Parts of a Flower
Students will learn to identify parts of a flower and the process of pollination through reading and labeling a diagram.
Activity 3: Origami Flower Model
Students will use the materials provided in their kits to create an origami flower model, using the instructions included in the full lesson plan. Then, they will work to label each part of the flower using their diagram as needed.
Curriculum is broken up into small activities that can be done over multiple sittings allowing students to have good breaking spots in between each part.
See this lesson in Modular Delivery through our Google Classroom Example, follow the instructions below.
1. Log in to a google email account, it does not have to be associated with a school.
2. In the menu option, select Classroom.
3. Using the + in the top right hand corner, select join a class.
4. Enter the Class Code: agals5q
5. Select Classwork at the top and you should see the topic “January 2021 – Flowers”
6. Underneath this section the lessons are broken out into 3 assignments.
Students complete the whole lesson through 1-hour long lesson in an in-person classroom setting.