Here is a new twist on planting seeds. Students make a “living necklace” they can wear home or display in various places around the classroom. It is ideal for kicking off a plant unit or introducing the stages of plant growth and development.
- Dip cotton ball in water and gently squeeze out the excess moisture so it is not dripping. Flatten it like a pancake or tortilla.
- Place the bean seed in the middle of the damp cotton ball and wrap the cotton around the bean seed.
- Place the seed and cotton ball in the jewelry bag and seal tight.
- Thread a piece of yarn through the hole at the top of the bag, and tie the ends to make the necklace.
- Each student may wear their “living necklace” home or keep them in their classroom for observation.
- The seed will sprout in three to five days.
For full instructions, please download our PDF