Food & Nutrition
This hands-on activity helps students understand that before an item ever leaves a factory, or enters a store, it began as a resource or product in the natural world - most likely agriculture. For grades K-3, pair this activity with the Eric Carle book Pancakes, Pancakes!, available from AITC’s Free Loan Library.
- You will need a 25-30 foot long space to run the relay. Hallways, gym or outside works best.
- Divide students into two teams (red and blue to match the cards). Each team gets a set of food cards and bags labeled Earth, Farm, Store and Factory.
- Place a set of bags about 30 feet away from the starting line. Teams should be formed into two lines (pic shows race with buckets) at the starting line, facing the bags.
- For grades with limited reading ability, review the food cards with your students before running the relay.
- Point out that each card has a picture and words to figure out what it is.
For full instructions, please download our PDF