Seeds, Soil, Sun & See Them Sprout
This lesson investigates the miraculous process of air and water combining with seeds, soil and sunlight to create nearly all the food we eat. By having students observe different types of seeds, this lesson takes plant germination one step further by having students record the differing growth rates and other observations in germination journals (template provided).
- Before you hand out supplies, demonstrate to students the steps in making the germination cups.
- Divide students by their table groups, or groups of 4-5 students.
- Each group will receive a set of cups (one paper, one plastic).
- Paper towel and a packet of seeds.
- Students will need to work together and share in making the germination cups.
- Wrap the paper towel around the paper cup. The excess paper towel folds under the bottom.
- The paper cup is then set into the plastic cup.
For full instructions, please download our PDF