Turf Buddies AKA Dirt Babies
This lesson is an interactive way to bring germination and the stages of plant development to life.
- Each student is given a nylon. This will become their turf buddy.
- Have each students place 1-2 teaspoons of grass seed in the toe of their nylon. This is where the grass will sprout from and grow. As the grass seed sprouts and grows it will look like hair.
- Note: When you are making the turf buddy, think upside down. The toe of the nylon will become the top of the turf buddy’s head.
- Students should pour approximately 1.5 cups of potting soil into the nylon, covering the grass seed in the toe area. Pack the soil down to make a firm ball.
- Tie a knot in the nylon right under the ball of soil.
- Students can use markers to draw a face on the turf buddy.
For full instructions, please download our PDF.